Cookies on the DFA website

We use cookies to give the best experience on our site while also complying with Data Protection requirements. Continue without changing your settings, and you'll receive cookies, or change your cookie settings at any time.

Skip to main content

Working holiday arrangements

Ireland’s working holiday agreements with other governments allow young people of both countries to fund an extended holiday through temporary work.

Irish citizens

If you’re an Irish citizen and you want to go on a working holiday to a country with which we have an agreement, you need to apply to that country for authorisation and ensure you meet their criteria.

Non-Irish citizens

If you want to work during your holiday in Ireland, you need to apply for a Working Holiday Authorisation (WHA) from your nearest Irish Embassy/Consulate or relevant organisation.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and our representatives and agents, reserve the right to ask for further documentation and/or to refuse any application for a Working Holiday Authorisation (WHA).

Sufficient funds

You must have enough money to support yourself for at least the first part of your holiday or in case you don’t find work. Immigration officials may ask for proof that you have sufficient funds when you enter Ireland.

Medical insurance

We strongly recommend that you get private medical insurance to cover any costs in case you have an accident or fall ill while in Ireland.

Finding work

The market for short-term casual work in Ireland is highly competitive and adequately supplied by the large number of school leavers and other young Irish and EU nationals looking for work. Getting your WHA is not a guarantee of finding work.

Immigration controls

Even if you have a WHA, you’re still subject to normal immigration controls when you enter Ireland. As a non-EU national, you must register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau to stay in Ireland for more than 90 days.  There is a fee of €300 for the issue of a Garda (police) registration card. You will be permitted to engage in short-term casual work once you have received the appropriate immigration stamp (Stamp 1).

How to apply


Non-Irish citizens apply to:

Irish citizens apply to:


Embassy of Ireland in Buenos Aires

Embassy of Argentina, Dublin


Embassy of Ireland in Canberra

Australian Visa Office in London


Embassy of Ireland in Ottawa

International Experience Canada - Embassy of Canada

Chile  Embassy of Ireland in Buenos Aires  Embassy of Chile in Dublin 

Hong Kong

Consulate General of Ireland, Hong Kong

Hong Kong Immigration Department


Embassy of Ireland in Tokyo

Embassy of Japan in Dublin

New Zealand

Ireland’s Honorary Consulate in Auckland

Immigration New Zealand

South Korea

Embassy of Ireland in Seoul

Embassy of the Republic of Korea in Dublin 


Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service

Taipei Representative Office in Ireland


Ireland’s Embassies or Consulates in the USA

US Embassy in Dublin